• Instant DMV Status Check for Free
• Personal DMV-licensed Concierge
• No account, credit card, or email required

Everything You Need to Know About Vehicle Registration and Title Transfer in California

The procedures for transferring vehicle registration and title in California are often complicated but they don’t have to be if you use the right support. Xtreet specializes in taking the work out of the parallel processes for our clients, through expert support every step of the way. Are you transferring special plates? Registering a car from another state? Need a lost title replacement?

It’s all covered below. This guide is designed to give you all the information to the most frequently asked questions about using Xtreet for your California vehicle registration and title transfer.

How do I transfer my special plate to my new car?

Xtreet can help you to transfer your special plates to your new vehicle. Here’s what we’ll need:

  1. A copy of the registration card with the license plate owner’s name or papers to register the vehicle to the applicant. The vehicle must be currently registered or the renewal fees paid.
  2. Completed Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) or Completed Special Recognition License Plate Application (REG 17A) by license plate applicant indicating reassignment of license plate.
  3. The license plates that are currently assigned to the vehicle.

How do I register my car from out-of-state without a title?

If your title to the vehicle is unavailable (for example, if a loan for the vehicle is still outstanding), a Loan Agreement from the Lender may be used as proof of vehicle ownership.

How do I register a car in California that was purchased out of state?

The following are the requirements for registering your out-of-state vehicle in California:

  1. A Completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG-343)
  2. The Out-of-State Vehicle Title. *If the Vehicle title is not available due to the presence of an open loan on the Vehicle, you will need to provide your sales contract or purchase agreement from the Vehicle Lender or current out-of-state registration card, evidencing that you have an ownership interest in the vehicle.
  3. Proof of Insurance.
  4. A Valid Smog Certificate
  5. Vin Verification
  6. Estimate DMV and service fees, please forward a scanned document via your email.

How do I complete the Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form?

You must have the car examined by a VIN verifier. The VIN verifier will fill out and sign the VIN Verification form (REG31). The DMV requires the original copy with wet signatures.

How/where can I get my VIN verified?

The following are options for a VIN check in California:

  • Private VIN verifiers in your area.
  • AAA (AAA has offices in both northern and the southern parts of the United States. Click here to know the location of your nearest office: AAA of Southern California – AAA of Northern California.
  • The California Highway Patrol
  • The California DMV.

Authorized Vehicle Verifiers are DMV employees, peace officers and military police (California Penal Code §830), Auto club issues number employees who register cars and Auto Club verifier’s signature must include the initials of the Auto Club.

Does Xtreet offer one-day operating permits (OTP)?

Unfortunately, we do not issue any permits or offer such services. Please visit the nearest DMV office or AAA location to obtain an OTP.

How do I get a replacement title?

To get a replacement title, you will need to provide the following:

  • A duly completed Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title - REG 227 form.
  • The vehicle license plate number
  • The last five digits of your vehicle identification number (VIN) or hull identification number (HIN) for a vessel/boat
  • Your driver’s license or identification card

You can upload this info at https://www.xtreet.com/support or email it to us at support@xtreet.com.

How do I get a salvage vehicle title?

To get a salvage vehicle title, you’ll need:

  • Application for Title or Registration (REG 343), completed and signed by the current vehicle owner(s)
  • Salvage Certificate
  • An official Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form, or CHP Certificate of Inspection (CHP 97C) form
  • Brake and light adjustment certificates
  • Smog certification

Once I’ve completed the requirements for an out-of-state vehicle, how long does it take to get plates in the mail?

Once you’ve fulfilled all the requirements and sent us the originals we can send out your new plate, registration, and sticker in 1-2 weeks. Only the DMV Can issue titles. You will receive your title from the DMV. It generally takes about 3 weeks.

Can you expedite or rush your title processing?

The DMV handles rush title processing services. Unfortunately, we don’t have this kind of service because the DMV solely hands title processing.

How do I transfer a car to my name that I purchased from someone else?

To transfer the title, we will need:

  • California Certificate of Title signed and dated by buyer(s), seller(s), and lienholder (if applicable). Please email us a scan of this document so we can calculate your DMV fees
  • Your driver’s license number
  • New owner (or lienholder) name and complete address
  • Purchase date and price
  • Type of Transfer (Purchase, Gift, Family, Add/Remove Owner, or Add/Remove Lienholder)

How do I pay my Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (2290)?

You’ll have to clean the titles before taking any title transfer until the issue/s with the vehicle is sorted out, Xtreet is not licensed/authorized to process vehicle tax payments. please check with the IRS site for payment options or authorized providers that accept your 2290 payment.

When will I get my registration card after payment?

After your payment has been processed, you will receive your digital registration card very soon by email. If you chose standard shipping, your physical registration card and sticker will be sent to you in the following 3 to 5 business days. If you choose next-day shipping, it will arrive the next business day.

What does the “Use Tax” on this non-resident registration document mean?

Use tax is levied on vehicles and boats purchased from any person or entity other than a licensed CA dealer, manufacturer, specialized manufacturer, or dismantler upon registration or transfer. The use tax is assessed on the total purchase price of the vehicle.

Please read this article for more information.

How do I renew my registration if my car has been impounded? Can I get a one-day moving permit?

We can help you renew your registration, for which you will receive a PDF copy of your registration card that will be available on your dashboard. Although we can’t provide you with any permits, you can visit your local Driver’s License office or another AAA location to get a one-day mover’s permit.

Can I put two names on a title transfer?

Yes, we can list your name and a secondary name (spouse) on the title. A Vehicle or Vessel can be in the names of two or more co-owners. Names of co-owners may be joined by "and," "and/or," or "or."

Can you help me renew my registration?

Yes, you can renew right at our site! You just need to submit your details here: https://www.xtreet.com/registration/

Can you help me with a title replacement?

We can certainly help with a title replacement. The initial requirements are the Application for a Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227) and a copy of your driver’s license or identification card (DL/ID). Please include your notarized Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (REG 166).

Do you sell replacement stickers for a car I own?

We sell replacement stickers for a vehicle that is registered. Please complete the following vehicle information to begin: https://www.xtreet.com/registration/

To finish off this process, we request you to fill in the below Application for Replacement Stickers or Document (REG156) form, sign/note it, and either upload the same via our portal https://www.xtreet.com/support or email the same information to support@xtreet.com.

What do I do if my registration has expired?

We are here to make this renewal as simple as possible! We will provide you with a renewal invoice and you can make payment through our secure payment portal link. Once you’ve paid, you will get a confirmation email that will provide a copy of your registration card. The physical registration card will be mailed to your registered address within 3-5 business days kindly provide us with shipping information ie name and your shipping address.

How can you tell if a registration and sticker in CA is fake?

We are one of the providers of the California DMV and everything is directly imported from the DMV. If you have questions regarding the validity of your registration or stick, please contact the DMV to confirm the legitimacy of the registration card and sticker they gave you.

Where is my registration? It has been several weeks and I haven’t heard back.

Unfortunately, we do not have access to orders placed directly on the DMV website. Nonetheless, we recommend that you contact the DMV directly or check your order status on their website.

How do I get a temporary operation permit so I can move my car from impound?

We can help you renew your registration, but unfortunately, we do not offer a temporary moving permit. You can get this from the DMV or AAA if you are a member.

Can I pick up a registration card or sticker from your office?

The registration card and sticker will be mailed to your registered address in 3-5 business days after you have provided your information and payment. We do not allow for in-person pick-ups.

How do I expedite a registration order?

We can ship it overnight or the next day; we’ll also have the DMV mail you the physical copies of the registration: the card and the stickers. Once we get payment processed, yeah, we can email you a digital copy of the registration card that you can print out and use in the meantime while you wait for those to come in the mail.

Can you process a transfer for a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state from a dealer instead of a private party?

Yes, we can process the out-of-state vehicle transfer for you even if you bought it out of state from a dealer.

I am looking to title a vehicle for a customer who resides in California. The title is already in California. Will a VIN Inspection still be required?

A VIN verification inspection is required for most (but not all) vehicle registrations and renewals, transferring ownership and other transactions in California. A VIN verification inspection is also required when registering a rebuilt vehicle, when the car is from out of state, or if you have merely transferred plates from another car. You can also call DMV at (800) 777-0133 for more information. Please note that the original forms must be submitted to the DMV in order to complete registration.

Do I need to go to the DMV in person?

No, you do not. You either put them in the mail with tracking, like USPS, UPS, FedEx, or you can also just send them to our office in San Francisco, and we’ll completely take care of it by setting up an appointment.

Why are your fees higher than the fees due at renewal?

Penalties worsen as you avoid renewing your license. Our fees are an additional service fee of $45.95 and a shipping fee of $5.95 only.

Are you able to waive fines or penalties?

Unfortunately, we are appointed by DMV to do certain tasks, amongst which is collecting fees and penalties due by court. We, as the court appointed DMV service provider, cannot waive any fines or penalties. You may reach the DMV on the phone at 1-800-735-2929. Their website is http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv-website/.

How do I apply for planned non-operation (PNO)?

We can help you to set your car on PNO. Please send us the plate number and the last three digits of your VIN to get started.

How do I get a PNO lifted for my car?

We can help you clear the PNO on your vehicle. You will just need to provide the plate number and last 3 digits of your VIN.

Ask Xtreet About Help with Your California Title and Registration

Experience a positive vehicle registration/title transfer in California. Xtreet gives you the foundation to go through the process of registering your vehicle/transfer title with success. Xtreet specializes in any forms relating to the transfer of special plates, salvage vehicle titles and many more to make things easy and simple for you.

Experience the complexity? No more! Let Street take over and enjoy your vehicle! We are happy to be your partner for registration/title transfer. Any questions? Contact us!